Wednesday, February 20, 2013

5 Steps to Ensuring You Don't Sleep on the Red Eye

            I really don't mind the travel and generally enjoy some down time on flights and in airports. I try to use the time effectively. However, once in a while I board a plane with one desire - sleep! My recent red eye was the latest example of that elusive quest. I had every intention of getting three hours of solid nap time but instead discovered five surefire ways to ensure that doesn't happen.

1.  Get the seat on the plane that doesn't recline. Stretching out is overrated. Who doesn't want to sleep sitting completely upright?

2.  Get the seat in the back row. You know the one - right by the washrooms. That way every time you nod off, the gentle flushing will wake you.

3.  Get seat mates who a) overflow the middle seat and therefore can't put the arm rest down and b) take the window seat but need to get up every twenty minutes (just enough time for you to get into a slumber) because of the stated "weak bladder". 

4.  Get the row that is surrounded by the two families on vacation who each have four kids ranging from 1 to 5 years old. Listen to them repeatedly tell their children it's time to sleep and reminisce about the good old days.

5.  Get the flight that travels just ahead of the storm but not so far ahead as to not be constantly subjected to the affects.

            I am fortunate to have this opportunity to travel and visit with colleagues. Regardless of my sleep level, their energy and enthusiasm always carries me through the days and beyond. For that I'm extremely grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment